Authentic Chat Noir Lithograph
$274.00 was $299.00
This product is currently sold out.
This is a hand pulled fine art lithograph of the original Chat Noir poster by Theophile-Alexandre Steinlen. It is pulled on Rives BFK paper.
Theophile-Alexandre Steinlen created the vintage poster, in 1896, to promote Rudolphe Salis', The Black Cat Cabaret (Le Chat Noir). Salis is credited with opening the first nightclub, of its kind, where patrons could sit at tables and enjoy alcoholic drinks while watching live entertainers on stage.
This lithograph of the original poster was re-created by renown chromist, Jean Pierre Remond, in 1997, as a fine art lithograph on a rare antique 19th century hand-pulled printing press. This is the same printing press that was used to create the vintage posters over 100 years ago. There are only 5 of these antique presses in existence, today.
Hand drawn plates are made, one for each colour, and then the plates are hand pulled through the vintage press one colour at a time. This is the exact same method that was used to create the beautiful vintage advertising posters of the past.
The result is vibrant rich colours and crisp clean lines. This is a true work of art.
- Artist: Theophile Alexandre Steinlen
- Title: Chat Noir
- Date: 1896
- Media Type: Poster
- Medium: hand pulled lithograph
- Printing method: hand drawn plates are hand pulled, one colour a time, in perfect registration on an antique vintage printing press. This is a labor intensive technique as each lithograph is created with hand-mixed colours that is applied one at a time by a highly trained and synchronized team, who must hand feed each museum quality sheet of paper through the press numerous times (one colour at a time, one pull at a time for each colour) to set the colours and impressions. The chromist (trained colour specialist) adjusts each colour by look and feel to perfectly match the original artwork. The result is an image with maximum pigment saturation due to the rich layers of colour which saturate the artwork with brilliance.
- Chromist: Jean Pierre Remond
- Year: 1997
- Size: 19" x 28 1/4"
- Publisher/Printer: The Re Society, Ltd
- Certificate of Authenticity: The Re Society, Ltd
- Hand Numbered: individually and sequentially in pencil #236